Rapid Recovery is an innovative programme for hip, knee, shoulder and elbow patients having joint replacement or other reconstructive or remedial surgery.
The principle elements of the St Joseph’s Rapid Recovery programme are as follows:
- you are well prepared for surgery by receiving very detailed information before admission, together with a pre-operative physiotherapy programme
- our staff are specially trained in these techniques and their engagement with patients
- small groups of patients undergo surgery on the same day so they can go through the programme together and provide support and encouragement
- pioneering surgical and anaesthetic techniques, resulting in avoidance of post operative discomfort and nausea
- you are mobilised the day of, or the day after surgery. You remain in day-time clothes all day long, in a comfortable chair, without bed rest during the day
- you are motivated through group therapy and coached by a family member or relative
- physiotherapy instructions are given before the operation and after the operation the exercises are done in a group
- your discharge day is planned before the operation
- home care or rehabilitation is organised before your admission to the hospital
- caregivers keep in contact with the patient after discharge, maintaining the quality of care and evaluating patient satisfaction
The Rapid Recovery service has been proven to significantly reduce patient recovery times and to minimise complications following joint surgery.
The majority of patients are ready to go home within 24 to 72 hours, usually experiencing the full benefit of their joint replacement soon after that.